Another Broadbean update!

more june flowers 031

broadbeans June 9th 2016

Last time I wrote about the broadbeans was about 6 weeks ago; my, what a difference those 6 weeks have made.  The beans have grown, and flowered and some of the pods are very nearly ready to be harvested.

 

My father eats the young beans still in the pods, so I might try that, although I might have left it a bit late with these two ….. the thought of that furry pod linings puts me off a bit!

I have interplanted the broadbeans with brassicas.  One plot has been interplanted with Kale.

broadbeans 003

redbor kale

The other plot has been interplanted with cabbage.

broadbeans 004

savoy cabbage

My plan is that the butterflies will not notice them nestled amongst the broadbeans.  Moreover, the hungry brassicas will benefit from the nitrogen provided by the roots of the broadbeans and, while they are still young, the shade from their leaves.  We will see.

more june flowers 032

view of the vegetable garden showing the squares with climbing beans and the squares with broadbeans

You may remember that the two plots of broadbeans have been treated differently as one was double dug, and the other had organic matter incorporated into the top.  So far there had been little noticeable difference between the two crops, although there was slightly more slug damage to begin with on the plot which had more organice matter on the surface.  In the picture above the plot that was double dug is furthest away.

Advertisements

Harvest Time

Helpringham light 086.JPG

The microgreens that I have been sowing weekly the last month or so are doing well and ready to harvest.  Although the leaves are still so small that a lot of leaves have to be cut to make a meal.

Helpringham light 097.JPG

Chris cutting some leaves for a delicious salad for tea.

In the foreground you can just see one tiny tomatoe seedling.  The ones that I showed you a week or two ago have made a great recovery and I have now pricked most of them out.

Other crops that we are harvesting now are some fresh herbs that we have overwintered in the conservatory.  The most successful of these has been the mint which has been a very welcome addition to our salads.

Helpringham light 088.JPG

I put a few roots into a bag of compost that had had tomatoes growing in it.  I added a handful of seaweed meal too as mint is a hungry plant.

We have also harvested the first of the forced rhubarb and had a delicious crumble for tea on Sunday night.

With luck there should be many more pickings of rhubarb this year.  I moved two pieces of the crown to a new site in December.  The plant that is left is going to be dug up at the end of this year.  This means that we can keep on harvesting it for as long as we want.  Usually we would stop by early summer in order to let the plant replenish its stores ready for the following year.